Now we’re in the final stretch of 2017, its time to start thinking about the goals that you are ready to conquer for the 2018. Let’s take some time to talk about the importance of dream boards and how to make one.
A dream board or vision board is
a visualization tool which refers to a board of any sort used to build a collage of words and pictures that represent your goals and dreams
Why do you need a dream board?
– Creating a vision will give you a clear picture of what is important to you and will define for you what your goals actually look like
– Visualizing your dream and constantly looking at it has been proven to be a tool for some of the most successful people. If you do not visualize your goal, it will quickly become a distant memory
– A dream board is a reminder of the reasons you started and will keep you accountable for the goals you laid out for yourself
– A dream board is more than just a bristol board with pretty pictures. It is an affirmation and promise to yourself
How to make a dream board
– Firstly, I recommend that you find a quiet place to really reflect and connect deeply with the things you want. Once you decide what you want, the rest is easy
– Next, go online or find magazines that have images of the things that inspire and motivate you. I really love Pinterest
– Print and/or cut them out and stick them to your board. You can use a bristol board or cork board – your choice. Make it visually appealing to you!
– Be sure to include things that matter to you. Not everyone’s dream board needs to have the fanciest car or the biggest house. Your dream and someone else’s dream are different so everyone’s dream board will be different. Don’t feel bad if your dreams aren’t what are considered standard or “normal”
– Be specific about the things you want! If you want to travel more, make sure you put down the location, the city , when you want to go and how much it will cost to make the trip happen (airfare, accommodation, spending money, etc) The more specific, the better
– Include motivational messages, family/friend photos and sentimental items – things that make you emotional when you think about them. These are things that will keep you going when things get tough!
– Give yourself a deadline for each item! A goal without a deadline is just a dream so be sure to put the date that you want to achieve the goals on your board. This way you can plan how much time you need, how much time you have left and how much you need to put in to accomplish these goals.
– Decorate your board and go all out! Have fun and be creative. Make your dream board fun and exciting so that you will want to look at it everyday!
A dream board is a continuous working document, just because you complete it does not mean that you can’t change it, or even start over with a new one. Your 2018 board, may change in 2019, or six months into the year and that is perfectly acceptable. It is your board, you are constantly growing and changing so allow your board to grow and change with you.
Good luck everyone and let’s crush some goals! Have you started your dream board for 2018?